Congratulations on making the worthwhile decision to adopt a puppy. A lot goes into caring for and raising a pet. As your vet team in Los Gatos, CA, we've provided a helpful guide to preventative care and dog vaccines to ensure your new pup is well cared for and avoid illnesses and viruses, like distemper. Don't hesitate to call us for more information or to schedule an appointment with an available vet. We at Summit Veterinary Hospital are here to help.
What Shots or Medication Does My Dog Need?
Once you have adopted your puppy, we recommend scheduling an appointment with a vet at our location in Los Gatos, CA, so your dog can receive the much-needed vaccinations. Dog vaccines are a great preventative care to help keep illnesses like rabies and distemper away.
Below is a look at the vaccinations your dog may need, which you can further discuss when you visit us at Summit Veterinary Hospital.
- Bordetella— This disease causes severe vomiting, whooping, coughing, and potentially death. It's also commonly called kennel cough.
- Canine Distemper — This contagious virus attacks your dog's gastrointestinal (GI), respiratory, and nervous systems.
- Canine Hepatitis — This highly contagious viral infection will affect your dog's kidneys, liver, spleen, lungs, and eyes.
- Heartworm — It's vital that your puppy takes preventative heartworm medicine. While there are no vaccines for heartworm, the medication helps prevent it.
- Rabies — Rabies is a viral disease in mammals that takes over the central nervous system, where your dog can experience symptoms like anxiety, excessive drooling, and death. This vaccines may be required by your state government.
Additional dog vaccines include Leptospirosis, Lyme disease, and Parvovirus.
Get Preventative Care and Dog Vaccines from a Vet on Our Team for Distemper
If you want to know more about getting your new pup vaccinated, call us at Summit Veterinary Hospital in Los Gatos, CA. We'll answer your question and book an appointment to get your dog the vaccines he needs. Call us at (408) 353-1113 for more information.